Measles is a viral infection spread by droplets and can result in quite serious disease in both children and adults.
- Symptoms include fever, cough, rash
- 1 in 25 will develop pneumonia, and less commonly, encephalitis (brain inflammation) with the risk of brain damage or death
- Measles is a routine vaccination that may need to be updated prior to travel
- It is now given combined with mumps and rubella vaccination
- The vaccine is especially recommended for those who have only one documented dose given born eg those born between 1970 and 1984